10.13.2010

Music, Music, Music

It's constant in my life.  I sing it, I listen to it, I write it, I love it.  Constantly.  I'm in the car and I'm thinking of the lyrics of my favorite songs currently, songs I've written, songs I've half-written (so many of those) new songs... old songs.  Music.  It's a time machine.  It is possible to be transported through time in an instant.. the second you hear the familiar notes to your once favorite song.  You remember exactly where you were when you might have heard it.  This happens to me on a regular basis.  I love that feeling that comes from somewhere in the pit of your stomach, the one that jolts you when a song starts playing that you haven't heard in awhile.  Or when a song has been put together in such a way that it can draw emotion right out of you.  Examples: Motley Crue, Without You- Jr High Halloween Dance.  I'm wearing a black cat costume (really just a black mini skirt, shirt, and ears and a tail - Halloween is every Jr High girl's excuse to dress inappropriately right??!)  I'm dancing with Jeremy Sterkel.  I wonder whatever happened to him?  haha.. Okay.. Anything by Def Leppard and I'm in Jr High/High School again..seriously, you know you can't turn on Pour Some Sugar on Me and not remember where you were!!  Wreckz N Effect..Rob Bass..Snoop!!!  Fast forward....Return Of the Mack...- My bachelorette party... Sometimes songs can be painful.. Avril Lavigne - I'm with You.  Sometimes nostalgic - Boston -More Than a Feeling.  See what I mean?  I bet you all have songs like that... the ones that are so connected to a time in your life that when you listen to them you are sucked back to that time or place.  Wasn't it Dick Clark who said "Music is the soundtrack of our lives"?  He was right.  
I have a friend, he's an older gentleman, that I see probably once a week or so around town.  We couldn't be more opposite, which is probably why he's so dear to me.  He lost his wife a couple years ago, she was his best friend in the world.  We got to talking once and the subject of music came up.  He said "I don't listen to music, I don't like it, it's boring".  I was astonished!  "Why?" I asked, shocked.  He went on to say that today's music is crap so why bother... I said "Well what about other music!?"  He said "I used to like it, but, well..." He kind of trailed off.  I suppose it's because it all reminds him of his wife.  And any song that was a favorite, is connected to her.  Since they were married for over 50 years... I can see his point.  The soundtrack of his life...  
Music is more than an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions through the elements of rhythm, melody and harmony   It's a creative outlet.  It's a therapist.  It's your best friend when you feel alone.  A jukebox is a scrapbook, the covers inside are the pictures.  And somewhere in the middle of all of it is you.  What songs play on your soundtrack?  See you soon... Love T♥

4 comments:

  1. So true, Tera. I like reading your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kerry, I so appreciate you taking the time!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Tera, love this. How can I forget that Halloween dance? I was an angel knocking everyone up side the head with my big white wings. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHA... April that is a fantastic visual :)

    ReplyDelete