10.14.2010

I ran so far away!!!!

For those of you who know me, you know I've been struggling to get into shape for a good year now.  I started out going to a dietician which turned out to be a great choice.  I learned a lot about what I actually eat, what I should eat and what I shouldn't.  
I started out great.. I was going along, eating healthy, proud of myself.  Then it happened.  
The Event.  
Last Christmas, I was at my parents house and we were getting ready to go out for the day, ice skating, holiday shopping, typical holiday activities.  I had put my hair up earlier and I was primping in the mirror when I decided I'd better check the back of my hair to make sure it was in place.  I pick up a hand mirror and proceed to my backside's reflection.  You know those horror movies where the camera flashes from scene to scene with the scary music that gets louder and louder, until someone screams?  This is what took place at that moment in my head.  My hair?  No, that was fine.  It was the unfamiliar rear in the jeans staring back at me that scared the living daylights out of me.  "Whose butt is that?", I ask myself in my head.  Because it isn't mine.  It's the ass of someone I don't know, right?  Surely, there is someone in this bathroom with me, playing a trick.  Someone I might see out and about and think "dang, she should do something about that and rethink those pants.."  I don't know how else to describe it, and maybe it's better I don't give a detailed description...but in a word or two, it simply looked like it had given up.  Perhaps gravity played a factor as the once shapely area of my body had taken a dive and deflated.  It sounds superficial, but I had a mini nervous breakdown.  I changed into something else (20 outfits and needless to say a longer shirt) and we went on our way.
That was my moment of truth.  My subconscious gave me a lecture.."T, you're in your 30's now, it's not going to be like it was 10 years ago where I could skip a meal, lose 10 pounds and call it good."  I'd never had a weight problem...but more than just the weight, I'd never been unhealthy.
I started a workout called Slim in 6.  "6" means weeks...(I was hoping that meant minutes, heck, I'd settle for 6 days!!)  But no, it meant weeks...6 long, excruciating weeks.  It's a series of workouts that start out at 24 minutes and then get longer as you progress.  I fondly called it "Slim in kill me now"...(and a few other colorful phrases on bad days..)
But I stuck with it...  I used muscles I didn't know I had, and (after many "Lord help me's", "God give me strength" and "Travis shoot me now") I welcomed back the ones I had been missing.  Before long, I mastered the program..It became easy.  I lost weight.  Lots of it.  More than that, I became healthier.  
And so it was time....
Time to check that rear-view mirror,.  It had been 6 months.  I said a silent prayer (Something like "Dear God, please!!!").  Lo and Behold there it was...in all it's glory... hahaha, okay... no, not really...but definitely improved!!
It had all started out as a mission in vanity.  I wanted to look better.. and yeah, I guess I wanted to feel better...but I was focused on what I looked like.  What I got was so much more... 
We were all walking to the beach one afternoon and my kids (14 and 11) were running ahead... I said "Hey wait up!!" and I burst into a run.. A RUN!!  I was shocked.  It was EASY!  I wasn't tired, it didn't hurt and  the look on Abby and Tyler's face was priceless like "NO WAY"  
Nothing is better than being able to run and play with them and not get tired.. not bend over and gasp for air after a few yards...I had no idea when I started that I would gain anything!!  I gained so many more rewards for being in shape than just looking great in my jeans... I'm living now, not just biding my time waiting to get older.  I'm living.  I changed.  Not just the shape of my body, my entire outlook on life.  Thank God.    
Life is so good.  I'm blessed beyond belief.  And yes... I'm loving the view....... from all sides.
Live well, my lovelies.
Love, T♥

No comments:

Post a Comment