12.14.2010

Take your time...

How many of us put off things until "tomorrow"... Me, I am the ultimate procrastinator on one hand...and other times, I have to get it done NOW.  This happens spontaneously, and those around me, including myself are never quite prepared for the personality that surfaces!  I've often wondered if I have two or more different personalities.  I've learned in the last couple of years that it really isn't my personality, it's my ability to pick up other people's characteristics just by being near them. This happens with moods also.  If I'm not taking special care to pay attention, I will wind up in a mood that was not mine to begin with.  I can watch a movie where people are speaking in southern accents and halfway through you would be convinced I was born in Louisiana as I start to speak in my best southern drawl.  Why?  Because it's fun and moreover, because I absorb everything.  This can be so confusing.  And it is sure to cause my loved ones to stop and wonder exactly where T went and if she's coming back any time soon.  
For example - we have been remodeling our house.  New carpet, windows, etc.  Oh! How exciting you say!!! No.  This means that things will be chaotic and messy (for those of you contemplating the idea).  I was going along fine, so excited about my new carpet and windows - enjoying the thought of a new look to come home to and relax in.  I don't know what happened.  Perhaps, it was the moment I actually looked around and realized that my once clean house was a MESS.  M-E-S-S.  That is all I could see.  My eyes darted around like a crazed animal at all of the piles of this and that on every piece of flat-topped furniture.  I swear they looked back at me like "it's not our fault, YOU put us here!!"  I don't know what came over me, but needless to say I kind of freaked out.  It all seemed so overwhelming and impossible.  I thought of all the things I have to do in a day and there was surely no time left to return these odds and ends to their rightful residencies.  
Another prime example of my madness, would be when someone else loads the dishwasher.  You would think (as stated above) as busy as I am (yes but not really) and how there is not enough time in the day (there is but I can't find it) to get everything accomplished that I would be grateful someone else chipped in to help.  For some reason, I had to look inside the dishwasher.  You see, there were still dishes in the sink, and the brave soul who did load it, informed me that there was no room left in the dishwasher and those dishes would not fit.  As soon as peered inside I turned into an officer of the dishwasher loading police and analyzed the lack of proper use of space.  It was clear that no math had been done to calculate how to align the glasses on the top rack and equate the area on the bottom rack to fit each pot, pan and plate efficiently.  You are asking yourself, what happened next?  Well of course I reloaded it!  I mean, who could live with themselves not utilizing the dishwasher at its top performance?
And I wonder why I have no time left in my day... I am certain the reason I am unable to find this extra time is because I have used it to appease my alter ego's inability to relax and let things be. 
How often do we put off spending time with a friend or placing a phone call to someone, because we simply cannot afford the time?  Or you are watching a TV show and your kids come in to talk and you shhh them because you are tired and can't muster the energy to listen.  Your family member asks you to lunch and you don't go, because you; haven't washed your hair, have too much laundry, house is a mess, have to make dinner... etc.
We must take our time.  We never know when the last opportunity to do something presents itself.  Those who have lost a child will tell you to soak in every minute of it; they would give anything to be able to rewind.  Those who have lost siblings or parents will tell you to jump up and go to that lunch date - don't miss the chance to be with someone you love.  
Do you think life lasts forever?  Are you putting off making that phone call to tell someone you love them, because, ah well, you will do it tomorrow?  Don't wait.  Do it now.  Make it count.  Make an impression.  Don't freak out about a mess that is easily cleaned up.  Don't reload the dishwasher to optimize space - use the time you would have spent reloading it to do something worthwhile.
I hereby swear to take my own advice.  I will stumble in my quest.  But I promise to try.  Do you?


Savor your life.  Don't like the taste?  Season it with something else.  Add a few fresh ingredients and don't forget to breathe.  Take your time.  Enjoy.


♥T   

No comments:

Post a Comment